Forum upgrade - please report issues

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#21 Takumi

Takumi
  • Admin
  • 8,843 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:43 AM

Incidentally, since the last "yeah, let's upgrade and clean this place up" stalled effort a year ago, I've bought a Nexus 7, so I can actually access the internet while herding cats/kids. Will be a lot more responsive to issues now, should have done this a long time ago.

If anyone knows a good HTML/PHP ide (preferably with highlighting) for android, please let me know.

Known issue:

-don't think the user agents are setup to feed the mobile skin on mobile devices by default, yet (not on my Nexus, anyway).

#22 Ascentior

Ascentior

Admiral, Honorary Fabricator-General

• Members
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:03 AM

I've used a LOT of editors. The one I've become most comfortable with on my tablet (can't even remember why now) is DroidEdit. As I've got the Asus T300 Transformer, I have a keyboard, so use of an on-screen keyboard is not something I had to deal with when I changed to that one. Before that, I was using 920 Text editor, and I think my reason was how well it managed the on-screen keyboard for PHP editing.

#23 Takumi

Takumi
  • Admin
  • 8,843 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:05 AM

Superb, thanks.

#24 Takumi

Takumi
  • Admin
  • 8,843 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:44 AM

So another android ask- any apps for remote maintaining a mysql database? I'd rather not use my normal web phpmyadmin, as it's not mobile optimized and thus blows (particularly for working on live data).

#25 Ascentior

Ascentior

• Members
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:03 AM

I tried a couple and none of the free ones were up to scratch, but I kind of put that down to my free host and my limited experience.

#26 Ascentior

Ascentior

• Members
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:04 AM

DB tracklayer was the most hopefully, but as I said, I can't actually log onto my servers mysql from there

#27 Shaikar

Shaikar

Lord Admiral

• Admin
  • 7,143 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:22 PM

Adding a new person to a pm conversation also clears anything in the "new reply" box.

Which is annoying if you write something and decide someone else needs CC-ing. :P

#28 Takumi

Takumi
  • Admin
  • 8,843 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:31 PM

That's probably "working as designed." I have to say, I used to really like working with this software, but as they've bloated the feature set and gone off chasing big (probably paid) communities that care about stuff like SEO, they've drifted away from the likes of us. Everything is utterly half arsed.

If you guys want to entertain different software at any point, I'm all ears.

#29 Takumi

Takumi
  • Admin
  • 8,843 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

Sorry, forgot to add. I'm in the database using phpmyadmin in Firefox. How ironic that the mobile version is great, and mobile chrome is gash.

#30 Shaikar

Shaikar

Lord Admiral

• Admin
  • 7,143 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:21 AM

An account made just before the upgrade appears to be buggered, possibly the earlier mentioned validation queue issue?

It appeared to validate ok - nothing funny happened - but I'm told that while the account can see the forums, it can't post or do anything else.

#31 Takumi

Takumi
  • Admin
  • 8,843 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:24 PM

Yeah, see admin forum. I'll go recreate that missing table. May need to tee register after that.

#32 Takumi

Takumi
  • Admin
  • 8,843 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:25 PM

This is why the validating queue cannot be cleared.

An error occured with the SQL server:[/size]
mySQL query error: DELETE FROM general_board_profile_portal_views WHERE views_member_id IN (80528)
This is not a problem with the IPS Community Suite but rather with your SQL server. Please contact your host and copy the message shown above.

I've created this table, common error, apparently. Could someone check to see if the validation queue works?

edit - seems to work, ask folk to start registering again as needed.

#33 Shaikar

Shaikar

Lord Admiral

• Admin
  • 7,143 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:41 PM

successfully approved a spam account in the queue, then deleted them. Validation queue is now clear! Nothing funny seen throughout, so that's a good sign.

#34 Takumi

Takumi
  • Admin
  • 8,843 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:44 PM

Good stuff. Best have someone try signing up, make sure it works. (your sig pic is broken, by the way) I'm running some db optimizations now that (almost) all of the legacy stuff we don't need has been removed. Next stop: cleaning out the forum tables that we no longer use.

#35 Shaikar

Shaikar

Lord Admiral

• Admin
  • 7,143 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:55 PM

I can't find the "enable registration" setting - currently we're not accepting new registrations at this time.

Sig pic has been broken for years, but until the upgrade it was invisibly so. I'll sort it. :)

/e Found it, typically right after I posted.

#36 Takumi

Takumi
  • Admin
  • 8,843 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:02 PM

I'm bored of trying to find wherever they've moved the various settings to, each time they update. I always go straight to the general search box, top right. For example, I just searched for Registration and it appeared under the Settings results.

#37 Shaikar

Shaikar

Lord Admiral

• Admin
  • 7,143 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:14 PM

Didn't think of searching, assumed it would be rubbish. :oops:

Something odd has happened with replies.

Both quick reply and full reply have the text box shrunk as per the attached screenshot. You can resize it but it defaults back to that size on every new reply. Full reply has also lost most of the editing/font options - and has 2 "browse" buttons for adding new files. Both browse buttons let you select a file but then nothing happens - no sign they're attached, or any insert into post buttons etc.

This may be attached multiple times, but if not here's an external link!
jT1oeFZ.jpg

#38 Takumi

Takumi
  • Admin
  • 8,843 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:21 PM

Dump cache? Skin errors are often cache related. I just noticed the forum is stripping carriage return (line breaks) from my posts, so that it wraps to all one line. Wasn't doing that before.

#39 Takumi

Takumi
  • Admin
  • 8,843 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:22 PM

Whoa, it's done the quick reply thing for me, too. I'll rebuild the skins.

#40 Takumi

Takumi
  • Admin
  • 8,843 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:48 PM

This is really odd. I wiped all the skins, rebuild the lot and still this post window is tiny. Can't quite get my head around this one, but I've gotta run and look after the kids. Sorry guys, will have to tolerate this for now.