• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Takumi

Takumi
  • Admin
  • 8843 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 05:34 PM

Hi folks

OK, as you're painfully aware, we've lost all posts made since June 6. It appears as though our server is dying (the dying RAID controller didn't notice that a drive was dying). Long story short, the drive synced with the last known good data - dated June 6.

Sincere apologies, but there's no way the data is coming back. Looking forward, we've got new hardware en route, and PIE will be migrated over by Wednesday (I'll keep you appraised of expected downtime).

Sorry for the clusterfuck, chaps. Unfortunately, I don't think there was any way to spot this one coming. I'm just disappointed our off-site backup didn't seem to work, which I'm chasing up with the server guy.

Stu

#2 Takumi

Takumi
  • Admin
  • 8843 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:09 PM

OK, well, we had an off-site backup but, as luck would have it, PIE and another forum of mine didn't get restored (even though they reported they were). The sys admin therefore didn't know we were on old data, and I've been without internet so I had no idea either. Upshot is, we could have had our posts restored, but the 2 days cycling backup now means we're stuck with the June 6 data.

Frustrated apologies.

#3 Takumi

Takumi
  • Admin
  • 8843 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:26 PM

We've tracked the problem with the backup restoration to the fact that my database is rather large (several forums run off it, and the backup is using a connection per table in the database). As much as it pains me, I'm just going to have to chalk this one up to a learning experience, although that doesn't bring back your posts.

Just to keep you appraised, the new server is online, and he'll start porting over the sites soon. Once PIE is on the server, I'm going to gut my database into separate entities (which probably means a separate database for the forum and the EVE killboard). Obviously, I'll give you loads of heads up on this, as it'll mean the board will be offline for a short while.

#4 Takumi

Takumi
  • Admin
  • 8843 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:12 PM

New server is ready to roll, we'll probably be migrated over this afternoon or evening, UK time. The downtime should be limited, however it might take a while for your internet provider to update its DNS to point to the new server IP.

Any problems, please let me know.

#5 Rodj Blake

Rodj Blake
  • Members
  • 5350 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:48 PM

Thanks

#6 Takumi

Takumi
  • Admin
  • 8843 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:18 AM

Server migration is complete. Those who can't access the board may want to ipconfig /flushdns at a command prompt, or maybe even use a separate DNS provider (openDNS.org is great).