Spam PMs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Takumi

Takumi
  • Admin
  • 8843 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:39 PM

I know this goes without saying, but should you receive any PMs from people you don't recognise, be wary of any links sent to you. Obviously, the forum admins will take whatever action we can to punt these spammers in to touch as quickly as possible.

Cheers

Stu

#2 Veshta Yoshida

Veshta Yoshida
  • Members
  • 954 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:24 PM

Is it viable to disallow unregistered members from sending PMs?

#3 Kabuto

Kabuto

Praise the bun!

• Admin
  • 3392 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (Veshta Yoshida @ Apr 7 2009, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We may remove PM power from non-grouped new members, yes.

#4 Takumi

Takumi
  • Admin
  • 8843 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:55 PM

QUOTE (Veshta Yoshida @ Apr 7 2009, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was a registered user (rather than a guest) who was subsequently deleted, so it probably shows up as "unregistered user" when you click on the user in the PM, now.

But yes, we're looking in to the above.

#5 Stig Sunshine

Stig Sunshine
  • Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:31 PM

QUOTE (Takumi @ Apr 7 2009, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It was a registered user (rather than a guest) who was subsequently deleted, so it probably shows up as "unregistered user" when you click on the user in the PM, now.

But yes, we're looking in to the above.

You were so fast that before I could log in to check the PM the user was already deleted! icon_cheers.gif

#6 Skarr

Skarr

Dark Lord Of The Shit (sp?)

• Members
  • 1285 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:45 AM

Sorry to hear about your spam problems, personally I recieved one and ended up coming here and taking a trip down memory lane with a browse through the WoW forums, every cloud and that wink.gif

#7 Takumi

Takumi
  • Admin
  • 8843 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:46 PM

Well this is interesting. Just got an email from Invision, the company that writes the forum:

PM Flood Control Patch for Invision Power Board 2.3.6 Released

We have received numerous reports from clients regarding spamming on the Personal Message (PM) system in IP.Board 2.3.6 and below. After consulting with reCaptcha (the provider of the captcha system in 2.3.6) we believe that humans are being used to bypass the captcha and then the newly created account is given to an automated script which sends PMs in huge quantities to your members.

The patch we have released today introduces a flood control setting to the PM system in IP.Board 2.3.6. This will limit how fast a member can send PMs thereby giving you and your moderators time to ban the offending account.

The download of 2.3.6 in the client area has been updated with this patch. If you already have 2.3.6 installed, you can download the patch along with instructions in the news announcement on the company forums. Applying the patch is quite easy but if you have questions feel free to contact support.

As soon as I have a moment, we'll get that patched up and, assuming it works, return the board to normal PM privileges.

#8 Kabuto

Kabuto

Praise the bun!

• Admin
  • 3392 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:34 PM

Just a note to say if you do get some strange spam PMs please forward the offending item/username to me so we can ban these people.